Monday, October 12, 2009

A personal discovery

Tomkins and the discovery of WAL-MART
A few days ago I discovered that Mr. Chips greatly overcharges customers for food and other ordinary products. I took a trip to Wal-mart and went on a food shopping spree that involved potato chips, soup, pretzels, and of course, my favorite food, pizza Lunchables. I got back to the dorms and was looking at my mere $21.50 charge for a large assortment of items and decided to test a theory. The next day during my free time, I took the receipt from Wal-mart to Mr. Chips and compared prices on the items that Mr. Chips had in stock that were the same exact products that I purchased from Wal-mart. Mr. Chips didn't even have most of the items I desired and the ones that they did have were just about double in price!
What I learned is that choosing something for availability, such as shopping at a very close convenience store over traveling an extra mile and a half to Walmart, has it's drawbacks. The more things you buy, the more money you waste. From now on, I try to make usual trips to Wal-mart every other weekend to stock up on items I use a lot of because that way I save the most money buying two-weeks worth of items for a cheap cost than having to make regular trips to Mr.Chips to pay an outrageous amount of money for the same products you could get at half the cost. If anyone is up for splitting a fare in the near future, it's a great way to save money in the long run on important groceries one enjoys.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I actually didn't think this through. I never thought that it was double the price at Mr. Chips. I can see why though, seeing as they are on campus and a mere 5 minute walk to everyone besides kids living in the skyline area. Some things are worth the extra bus ride to go and get.

    ReplyDelete